View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Patti
Donating YT 30K Club Member

I have started retraining my 3 as they had gotten very lax when I had rehomed a senior male yorkie Nikki (RIP). I have new carpets in the bedrooms and wanted to make sure they didn't ruin them. I have now confined them to one side of my room, my bed and the walk in closet that has become their den. I have all carpet covered that they have access to, with plastic or waterproof backed blankets. I have their 2 washable pee pads down in the same spot they have always been with disposable ones on top. Roxie is fine but Cali found a spot that the plastic had moved a little bit from and peed on it. Pixie who I got at 13 months untrained, would never use the pee pads but would go outside and use the bathroom rug (I changed it 1-2 x a day). She's almost 7 now. She no longer has access to the bathroom so I have been taking her out every 2-3 hours and she is doing great. I do have a bathroom mat down for her so if I am gone longer she can use it, but I try not to be gone longer than 4 hours. She is about 4 lbs and I think 4 hours is the longest she's held it since I started retraining a few weeks ago. I don't know if it is just my dogs, but it seems like they pee every few hours. I don't know if I will ever get them to the point where I can take up all the plastic etc. Cali I think will always try and find carpet to pee on, even though when she was an only dog she was 100% trained to the pads. But I'd rather live with plastic on the floors than the urine smell in my house. Since your baby is so small I don't know if she can hold it 10 hours. You may have to keep her confined in a small area with pee pads. Hopefully she will learn from Bindi too. I know my pom was 12 lbs and could hold it all day if she had too and never went inside. Good luck and congratulations on your new baby.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!