View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
ConnieO
Senior Yorkie Talker

Question Doing "The Works" During Spaying

At our most recent vet visit last week completing Khaleesi's puppy shots I asked about microchipping. Benji's ordeal has put it foremost in my mind. Her vet asked if I planned to have her spayed and I was answering "yes" before she finished her sentence, which was "when she is 5 or 6 months old". I was taken aback I guess, because she is 4 months old now and is only 2.4 lbs. I just think of her as my BABY. Even the vet confirmed that she didn't have all of her baby teeth yet. (I presume she was checking to see if she needed any dental work done then, too.)

At any rate, because Khaleesi is so small and the needle with the microchip is large, she said it would save her some pain to do it while she was under for the spaying.

Understand, Khaleesi hasn't even been outside except for our wooden fenced back yard and only then in our arms (her feet have never touched the ground), so I'm not overly concerned about getting her microchipped this second, but I AM concerned about her being large enough to be spayed in the next several weeks.

Further, if she may need dental work, would it not be prudent to see how her teeth are developing? I just don't want to have her put under any more often than necessary. Besides, she is still growing rapidly so there is a good chance she will make a more acceptable weight before she is grown.

OMG - as I am typing this, for the first time she is humping my arm! I guess my baby isn't as much of a baby as I thought!!!!

My question is what would you do? Have her spayed (and chipped) in the next few weeks? Wait until she stops growing so quickly and get her spayed? Get her chipped despite the pain and not wait until she is under? Wait and see if her baby teeth are going to fall out on their own (even though they aren't even all in yet)?

I appreciate your recommendations. I don't even need to add how deep a bond we have and how much I truly want the best for her. I know those of you on this forum understand that as a given.
ConnieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!