View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Welcome to YT. Read, research and consider how your puppy will change your life. To me the Yorkie is the best of all breeds in that they have loads of personality, big attitude and are loyal and loving companions. Housebreaking these guys can be a problem for some. Medical costs for any dog can be huge! If you get a tiny one, they often cost multiple thousands to buy and yearly in vet bills with the injuries and many medical problems that can go along with a tiny size. I speak from personal knowledge. My current Yorkie is a normal 5.5 lbs., not one of the "tinies" and this year alone he's cost well over $3,000.00 in vet bills & I've got a dental cleaning to go. A night at the ER vet with just IV's and basic tests runs around $1200.00. Yorkies often have to be anesthetized yearly or more often for dental cleanings as they tend to terrible dental problems. With IV's and anesthesia, pre-op blood work, the cost for these cleanings can approach $400.00 - $600.00 yearly, on top of other usual, routine vet charges, vax's, etc. Not trying to be a downer but just wanting you to know up front what you can be facing with a tiny, high-maintenance breed. Like any breed though, I am sure there are perfectly healthy tiny Yorkies that never are ill, have beautiful dentition for life and never have size-related problems. As with anything in life, plan on the worst and hope for the best if you decide to get one and I know you will love this breed! Once I had my first Yorkie, I never had another breed. Good luck in your research!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!