View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

I would recommend a homemade diet over most kibble. Looking into a good food based supplement is always best when home feeding. Try to avoid synthetic vitamins.It's not that complicated. You do need a good meat source and rotate the meats from one week to another. Chicken one week, beef the next. Organ meat is very nutrient rich. Heart and liver are always good. When I home cooked I did 80% meat. The remaining 20% consisted of mostly veggies with some berries and eggs with a supplement that was rich in calcium. Omega3's are important as well.
I tried using grain but Gracie hated grains so I switched to sweet potato and she loved that. It turns out sweet potatoes are nutrient rich and easily digested. There are some who believe that dogs cannot digest vegetables but there is no evidence for that theory. I always put Gracie's veggies through the food processor before mixing with meat anyway. There are some good sites available that have good ideas on home feeding. You need to use common sense though. There are some far out people who have some strange ideas.
Read the ingredient list on the average dog food bag. I'm sure you can do much better for your dog using real food that has not been cooked at extremely high temps at least 3 times. This is done to destroy all organic material in the kibble so that it can sit on a shelf for months at a time. Synthetic vitamins are then added to replace all the nutrients that were destroyed by the process.
I eventually went to a commercial raw diet but I did homemade raw for a while. It is just easier for me to buy the commercial frozen raw. I still do fix her a meal or two myself every week.

Last edited by gracielove; 11-14-2012 at 05:00 AM.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!