View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Caro
Yorkie Yakker

I am not fully through the potty-training phase.. but through some of the posts I've read on here, I think I am on my way to getting my little Colby to understand that pooping should only go on outside!

We haven't had any accidents in a week because my bf and I keep direct supervision on the puppy at all times. If we cant watch him, we crate him. If he is not in the crate, then he is right next to us the whole time. Like someone mentioned earlier, by getting your doggy on a schedule, you can predict his/her potty habits. I usually take Colby out a half-hour to an hour after he eats(and he always eats at the same time everyday)... if he doesn't go #2, he goes back in the crate or next to me. I take him out every 15 min until he finally goes, and he gets a reward for going. It was tiring at first, getting up all the time to take him out but he seems to be getting the hang of it. I am still not giving him freedom of the house because he has not been accident-free long enough but that's my goal down the line.

Also, I got a crate large enough where he can lay down and hang out comfortably, but small enough so that he can't poop on side and lay down on the other. He has his bed, blanket and favorite toy in there. He is not the biggest fan of his crate yet, but every time he walks in, I give him a treat so that eventually he will go into the crate willingly on my command.

Good luck on your potty training! If you give your doggy a schedule and firmly stick to it, I think he will quickly learn! =)
Caro is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!