View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
BEgrace7
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielove View Post
Waiting is always the hardest part (except for maybe the sleepless nights) It should be exciting. Is the breeder going to send you pictures as he grows?

Congratulations on the new baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
I don't want to be a killjoy, but how old is your son? I love my Yorkies, but I don’t think they are a great dog for kids, some don’t like to be held at all, and they often follow at your feet making it easy to get stepped on. We have seriously had members here who have killed their dogs because of this. A way to avoid this is to learn and teach you son the Yorkie shuffle, never pick up your feet when you walk. Also keep your dog in an x-pen when you can’t supervise. When they are puppies, their teeth are like needles, and they chew and bite your fingers. A child might find this so upsetting that he drops the dog or even throws it. A child should not pick up the dog without sitting and have a chewing stick available so that the dog can gnaw on that instead of hands. Puppies are teething and will bite and chew. There are many people here who have had success with their Yorkies and children, but these people have taken the time to train their children on how to treat the dog, this is so important. Also, know that Yorkies are much more difficult to housebreak than other dogs. Best of luck!

I have the same concerns...but we're going to try & do everything "right".
My son is almost 5 & has been w/ a 4lb yorkie at his sitter's who he does great with & his grandmother has a very small pug that's his "uncle". We have a indoor pen that we plan on setting up to let our new pup have a kid free zone.
We live in a town house & I have allergies so we decided a yorkie would be a great fit for us after spending time w/ the sitter's little one. I purposely picked the "chubbiest" pup & a breeder that socializes her dogs w/ children.
BEgrace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!