View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
kara
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti
I would have her Bile Acid level tested her symptoms are some that could be a possible liver shunt. My Cali is being tested and retested as we speak. Please read the threads on Liver Shunt. JMO but she needs to be diagnosed soon. Hopefully it is something minor but better to be safe.
I agree I have a LS dog and I definetly think that you should have your little one bile acid tested-and a complete blood work up asap.
Even if the tests come back normal or something else, piece of mind is priceless, and you would know exactly what was wrong and how to treat it and where to go from there.
Here is some info on Liver Shunts taken from this website

http://www.vet.utk.edu/clinical/sacs/shunt/faq.shtml

"What are the clinical signs of a liver shunt?
Clinical signs are often seen at a young age and include small stature, poor muscle development, behavioral abnormalities (circling, disorientation, unresponsiveness, staring into space, head pressing), seizures, and quiet demeanor. Other less common signs include drinking or urinating too much, apparent blindness, diarrhea, and vomiting. In some animals the signs are associated with eating protein. Other animals are diagnosied when they take a long time recovering from anesthestics (i.e. barbiturates) or sedatives (i.e. acepromazine). Some animals show no signs until they are older, when they develop bladder and kidney infections and stones."

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98vett
OMGosh that's so sad for her....Has your vet discussed any tests with you to find out why this is happening ? Is sure doesn't sound like honey will help her ....and if she were mine - she'd be at a new vet in a heartbeat....

Good luck with her...
I also agree with Villette I feel your vet may not be taking this matter seriously. Maybe you should think about going to another. Your concerns are very valid and waiting around could possibly make the situation worse.

Hope this info helps.
Good luck to you and your little one.
kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!