View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
nanahas3
♥Love My Snuggle Bugs♥
Donating Member

Got an email from my vet today sounds like your baby. I will try to paste it here hope it helps.

Meet Buddy, a very sweet 1 year old Maltese. He has been seen by the doctor since he was just a young puppy and had always been healthy until he developed vomiting, mild muscle tremors and a decreased appetite in early September.

Blood testing performed on Buddy had no abnormalities, but his tremors became much more severe. Within just a few days he had extreme difficulty walking and was unable to sleep due to the severe shaking.

After ruling out other potential causes of tremors (toxins, pain, dehydration), Buddy was started on a trial of high dose steroid medication for suspected White Shaker's Disease. Within a week of starting on steroid medication, his tremors had fully resolved and Buddy returned to being a happy, healthy puppy. The steroid medication is gradually being decreased over the next few months to prevent a relapse of tremors. His long term prognosis is excellent!

Buddy

White Shaker's disease is a rare steroid responsive tremor disorder. The cause of the disease is unknown, but is suspected to be related to an autoimmune disorder based on the response to steroids. The name "White Shaker's Disease" was originally used because the condition most commonly occurred in small white breed dogs (maltese, westies, etc), however, this disease has been diagnosed in other non-white breed small dogs. There is no test for the disease, so diagnosis is based on history, symptoms, normal laboratory findings, & response to steroid medication. Prognosis with treatment is excellent, although some dogs may have relapses in the future requiring treatment with steroids later in life.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!