View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobohyde View Post
Well, I'm sitting here feeling guilty and I just wonder what you all would do. Columbo turned 9 last month. He sees the vet yearly in April for his regular check up and shots. In May, he had surgery on one knee for LP & torn ACL. In August, he blew out the other knee and had the same surgery on the second knee. The two knee surgeries were almost $6000 together and was performed by an orthopedic surgeon. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I got a card in the mail from his regular vet saying it is time for his check up. Apparently, now that he is classified as a senior dog, they want to see him every 6 months. I ignored the card and another reminder came yesterday in the mail again. I am feeling all kinds of guilt because I don't want to spend the money to take him in again so soon. I don't think he needs to be seen again by the regular vet until the spring unless he is having some sort of issue. Maybe when he is a couple years older, I will want to do the 6 month visits. He is going back to visit the surgeon next week for a regular scheduled visit (which is included in the surgery price I already paid, but they are just concerned with his knees. I feel really guilty. I suppose I should call and see how much this visit would be, but what would you all do? Go in now or wait until April?
I never do six month visits and I have one that is 11 years old. The only time I might do frequent visits is when a dog might have an ongoing health issue I need checked because something is manifesting. My Vet doesn't usually charge much if anything unless he has to go more invasive with the dog.
I don't do regular check ups unless I am seeing a problem.
Also in chatting with my vet during a vet visit for a final puppy vacc's we discussed vac's. He said he is now recommending the 4 way vacc for puppies done 3X at one month intervals, I start mine at about 10 weeks of age. Then one more a year after the third vacc. After that 3-5 years later do a parvo only.
I have finally found a great Vet that is keeping up with the info on vaccinations and the over vaccination protocol many were following via the push from drug companies trying to sell their drugs including vaccines.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!