View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
mimimomo
Don't Litter Spay&Neuter
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Oh no! I hope your ankle heals quickly, Jenny.

I have to admit, I am fearful of larger dogs and have unintentionally instilled fear in my boys. Many times the fear is justified when the larger dog is not behaving and/or not under the control of a person who knows what they are doing. Balancing training with safety is tough.
Thank You, the sprain isn't too bad, probably pulled a muscle. My left ankle was twice as big last night, so put some ice pack on it & woke up w/ no pain & no swelling, so that's good. I need to lie down now & put my foot on a pillow & ice pack it again, so no walkies today! loll
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I'm so sorry you hurt your ankle trying to get away from those awful dogs. Shame on that owner.

Have you tried walking with the button-opening umbrella to open suddenly with a whoosh and hold between your dogs and oncoming dogs to dissuade them. It has worked for me every time I've used it. They usually back off and go the other way but if not, at least they don't get past it and you don't get so scared knowing it will keep your babies safe. I think a dog would have to be rabid or in the full red zone to try to get past seeing that big black thing open, blossom out before them with that noise and keep coming with such force & determination as to get through it.

Use the RICE protocol on that ankle ASAP, doctor if gets really painful/swollen, toes go blue or white, etc.
Actually, the GSD incident was in the past & yesterday was just 2 kids & their playful dog on a leash loll. Instead of trying to train P&T, I think I need to learn to control my emotions. Umbrella idea is brill but I don't know how Princess will react to it, she can get a little skiddish.
What is the rice protocol?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!