View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princes mom View Post
I know this topic has been posted before, but I was wondering if there were any new opinions. I've always only fed kibble (Fromm and Solid Gold), but the more I read, I'm thinking of mixing the two. I read that kibble has more carbs than can food, so it can promote tooth decay. I was always under the mindset that kibble was better for their teeth, but apparently not
I plan on picking up a few cans of Fromm can food this Friday.
What can foods do you use?

Great info...
Canned or Dry Dog Food - What's the Better Choice?
There's a lot of evidence to suggest kibble is much better for the teeth than canned food. Just the stickiness of canned food is one reason it’s bad for the teeth. The chewing action is good for dog’s teeth and gums.
Quote:
There is reasonable evidence that soft diets are associated with increased frequency and severity of periodontal disease, and that harder foods requiring vigorous prehension and mastication are preferable for dogs and cats. Diet and periodontal disease in dogs and cats - WATSON - 2008 - Australian Veterinary Journal - Wiley Online Library.
By the way, tooth decay isn’t the primary reason dogs lose their teeth. Dogs seldom get cavities unless they have a double row of teeth. Periodontal disease is the reason, but I agree with the others who say tooth brushing is important to help prevent periodontal disease.

Join today and remove this ad!