View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
msyorktown
♥Love My 3 Furrbutts♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvduchess View Post
I'm sorry - I'm not sure what being crate trained means. This dog was supposed to be crate trained. And, from what I understand (which isn't much), I've read and heard that most dogs won't doo-doo in their crate, provided the crate is small enough. Is that waht crate trained means?

I was half way thinking of getting those diapers and put them on him, and then just take them off when he goes out, until he gets into the habit of just poo-pooing outside. It sure seemed to work with the belly band. I mean, there's no way he goes #1 in the house. You can tell when he really has to go, he lets me know, and then goes as soon as he goes out.

The other problem with potty breaking him too is that he enjoys running in the back yard so much. We have a big back yard, and lots of dogs around, so he just enjoys going out and running around and yapping at the other dogs. And, I still don't think that he associates going out in the backyard with getting his business done (except for #1 - he does know when to do that). But, I think he associates going outside with just running around and having fun.

My other two dogs, I had since they were pups, and they quickly associated going outside with getting their business done.

He just enjoys going out and running around and having a good time. Not to mention, he will be 4 years old in December, so he is already pretty set in his ways - most of which are wonderful. And, I have learned this one thing in 14 years of owning dogs. They will do the same thing, the same way every time, unless trained to do differently.

So, I'm not blaming the little guy for not being potty trained for #2. It isn't his fault. It is our poor training abilities. If we were better trainers, he'd be trained much quicker than in 3 months.

He pretty much eats twice a day at the same times every day - 6 am and 5 pm, and with the premium dog food I use, which doesn't have much filler in it, generally goes #2 just once a day, and that is generally between 6 and 8 or 9 am in the morning. So, that is basically his schedule. Eat at 6 am and 5 pm, and #2 not long after breakfast. Hope that helps you all to help me get him trained.

Thanks again!
Yes most dogs wont potty in their crate....keep him confined, not full run of the house...leave enough room for food, potty pad, bed and crate. You can leave him confined to that area, when he keeps that area clean, you can expand the area. This is what I did with my two older pups in my pack...they are both almost two. The baby is 5mths and she is confined...no way does she get full run of the house...that priviledge is earned, not given.

How long after he eats, does he need to go...you can gage this by keeping a real close eye on him...Jersey usually has to go within an hour of eating, as soon as she starts sniffing around, I know its time to take her out...this works for me....she's getting it, slowly, but surely. She most of the time, lets me know when she needs to go...she is only 5mths so if I dont watch her she does still forget, and will find a spot in the house if I don't catch her in time.... Her fav spot was behind the tv, solved that little problem by blocking that area off....out of sight is into trouble, I keep her in my line of vision at all times....if I can't watch her, she is confined.
Hope this helps

https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPawzGroomingSpa http://jlevy.scentsy.ca
msyorktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!