View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
iluvduchess
Yorkie Yakker

I'm sorry - I'm not sure what being crate trained means. This dog was supposed to be crate trained. And, from what I understand (which isn't much), I've read and heard that most dogs won't doo-doo in their crate, provided the crate is small enough. Is that waht crate trained means?

I was half way thinking of getting those diapers and put them on him, and then just take them off when he goes out, until he gets into the habit of just poo-pooing outside. It sure seemed to work with the belly band. I mean, there's no way he goes #1 in the house. You can tell when he really has to go, he lets me know, and then goes as soon as he goes out.

The other problem with potty breaking him too is that he enjoys running in the back yard so much. We have a big back yard, and lots of dogs around, so he just enjoys going out and running around and yapping at the other dogs. And, I still don't think that he associates going out in the backyard with getting his business done (except for #1 - he does know when to do that). But, I think he associates going outside with just running around and having fun.

My other two dogs, I had since they were pups, and they quickly associated going outside with getting their business done.

He just enjoys going out and running around and having a good time. Not to mention, he will be 4 years old in December, so he is already pretty set in his ways - most of which are wonderful. And, I have learned this one thing in 14 years of owning dogs. They will do the same thing, the same way every time, unless trained to do differently.

So, I'm not blaming the little guy for not being potty trained for #2. It isn't his fault. It is our poor training abilities. If we were better trainers, he'd be trained much quicker than in 3 months.

He pretty much eats twice a day at the same times every day - 6 am and 5 pm, and with the premium dog food I use, which doesn't have much filler in it, generally goes #2 just once a day, and that is generally between 6 and 8 or 9 am in the morning. So, that is basically his schedule. Eat at 6 am and 5 pm, and #2 not long after breakfast. Hope that helps you all to help me get him trained.

Thanks again!
iluvduchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!