View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Suze225
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I also start all my puppies on solid food at 3 weeks. I start them on a puppy gruel for a day or two, then we go right to Royal Canin Mini starter. It dissolves in their mouth, it is wonderful and it is GREAT for mom too. Nice to get them right on dry food as soon as they can. Mine have no teeth yet they gum the royal canin mini starter and LOVE it!!!

I always hand feed my girls after whelping. They eat a LOT more if you sit with them and hold it while they eat. Sounds silly but it works. My girl after 5 pups was VERY thin after whelp, was 7 pounds the day she delivered and 5.2 after. She is now up to 5.10, BUT ONLY because I hand feed her almost every bite.

My girl is already beginning the weaning process of her pups. Only feeds them 2-3 times per day. She loves to eat their food, so I give them enough for the pups and her too!!! Shows the babies how to do it too!!! I think she is teaching them, not necessarily keeping them from eating.

My pups at 5 weeks have gained about 10-14 ozs each. You are right on track!!!!

YES trim the nails ASAP!!! Just the tips, they are sooooo sharp!!!!

Last edited by Suze225; 11-05-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Suze225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!