View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
JMuedog
Love My Little Cuties
Donating Member
Administrator

Default Large weight gain after neuter?

Hello all,

I realize that after a neuter/spay and the loss of hormone that is associated with those procedures pups can experience weight gain, but Finnigan has gained over 2 lbs in 2 1/2 mos. He was ~ 7lbs at the time of his neuter in August and this week is 9.4lbs. He had the normal physical work-up and blood work before his neuter and all was well.

We finally got him into the vet this week, because of our concerns. I had the vet do a full panel of blood work, but we've not heard anything about the results yet. I hope that's a good thing.

I think I just get overly worried, but Finnigan has always been our small little guy. We did wait until Finnigan was older for the neuter and wonder if maybe that plays a part in it.

While at the vet we calculated up his dietary needs and we're feeding him the proper amount of kcal in order for him to lose the weight. We do have a exercise routine in place as well. The vet did say the weight has to come off very slowly to be healthy (~0.1lbs each week), but we've had him on a restrictive diet for 3 weeks now. I think I'm just trying to rush results.

Anyone else have their pup gain such a significant amount of weight after neuter?
JMuedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!