View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Cirlonde
YT Addict

Default Opinions on Christmas Gift Etiquette??

I'm looking for some unbiased opinions on the expectations surrounding Christmas gifts and I figure you guys are a good group to ask!

On my father's side of the family, I have six cousins (three of them are actually "step cousins") plus my brother. Between the seven of these people, there are a total of six kids (one of them is my brother's). So, I've got a niece and five second cousins coming to Christmas this year all under the age of 7.

Obviously, I intend to purchase gifts for my niece, which would be given to her at a more intimate family gathering that includes just my parents, husband, brother & his wife. What are your thoughts on buying gifts for the other five kids that are my second cousins (children of my cousins)?

Below are a few more details about the situation that may or may not be relevant to your opinion:
-I have never been incredibly close to my father's family, and the three step cousins rarely attended holidays during my childhood/teenage years.
-I have not purchased gifts for these kids in the past and do not always make it to this Christmas gathering every year.
-All of these families (excluding my brother) are significantly wealthier than I am.
-As a child, my second cousins never bought me Christmas gifts but they also did not join our family Christmases.
-I have no children of my own, so I cannot gauge the other parents' expectations since they have never been in a position to buy my children gifts.

Sorry for the length, but I'm have a moral dilemma here! Thanks so much for your thoughts/opinions!
-C
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!