View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 12:19 PM   #1
fasteddie
YT 6000 Club Member

Default [News] Dog That Bit a Child May Face Death

Hmm, I think even though it did bite a child, always having a muzzle on when in public should be enough to prevent more possible harm. That's a very aggressive Yorkie that guy has, has anyone seen a Yorkie go crazy like that unprovoked?
---
A CRIEFF Yorkshire terrier may be put down after it bit a nine-year-old girl on the legs.

Perth Sheriff Court was told last week that the girl was taken to hospital where her wounds were treated and she was given antibiotics.

Now the animal, called Bruno, has been effectively placed on Death Row for a month until a vet’s report is produced and a Sheriff decides if the family pet constitutes a danger to the public.

Dog owner Francis McLellan (30), Milnab Street, Crieff, admitted at Perth Sheriff Court that he was in charge of the terrier while it was dangerously out of control and bit the girl to her injury on October 16 last year.

Depute fiscal Nicola Gillespie told the court that a group of children had been playing in a lane near McLellan’s house when the dog suddenly appeared.

“All the children heard a door opening and it was followed by the barking of a dog.

“They saw a small Yorkshire terrier running into the lane, barking. The children recognised the animal,” she added.

“There was no one with it and it wasn’t wearing a muzzle. The dog ran up to the girl, barking and snarling.

“It circled her, jumped up and snapped at her.

“The girl was obviously frightened and screaming. The dog bit her on both her lower legs and her upper left thigh.”

McLellan then appeared in the street and called off the five-year-old animal. When police later went to the accused’s home, the dog was snarling and barking aggressively.

Solicitor Billy Somerville explained that the dog had escaped from the accused’s house and had been upset by the children’s behaviour.

The dog now always wore a muzzle and was kept on a lead when it was taken out.

There had been no repetition of the incident since and the family would take steps to ensure Bruno behaved.

But Sheriff Lindsay Foulis said he wanted a report from a vet before deciding the animal’s fate.

“I want a vet to see this dog and give a view to its character and propensity for aggressive behaviour.

“A number of children were playing and the dog came up jumping, barking and snarling. He snapped at the girl, who was nine at the time.

“He drew blood and she required hospital treatment and antibiotics.

“A couple of weeks later, the police saw him and he was still behaving in an aggressive manner.

“I am not satisfied the dog doesn’t constitute a danger to public safety. Before I consider the matter, I want a report from a vet.”

Bruno has been given a stay of execution, at least until October 20, when its owner returns to court.

http://icperthshire.icnetwork.co.uk/...name_page.html
fasteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!