View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
Wow...today Wallee decided to grab a $20.00 bill my husband dropped. When my husband went to take it from him, he said he growled very loudly and snapped and tried to bite him. He was unable to "yell" at him as I suggested as I was on the phone with a client while it happened. I fear this is going to become a big problem if this continues. I then tried dropping the money a couple times in front of him and telling him firmly to "LEAVE IT' and he backed away and looked at me. I know that a couple of you mentioned using the rolled papers to scare him, however when he has something that you need to take from him, you don't always have time to run and grab the paper. I sure hope that we can scold him loudly and get him to stop this before it becomes a very big problem.
He just turned 7 months and I have him scheduled to be neutered November 15th so hopefully that too will help with his "attitude" that is developing. Kind of makes me worried that I am not such a good mommy as he is trying to be in charge of us. I have been so careful to treat him like a doggie and not a person, even took him to puppy socialization classes and do some sit, down, quiet training with him.
Please tell me we will be able to correct this behaviour before he bites someone.
You realize this is going to become a permanent issue....you want to correct the bahavior.....you have been given some information on correction techniques THAT WORK! YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO MAKE IT A POINT TO HAVE THAT NEWSPAPER AVAILABLE! When you see he has something you do not want him to have, BEFORE you ever approach him, grab the newspaper, then you can use it as suggested to startle him into knowing that behavior illicites a scary response from you! I have newspapers rolled up all over my house, there is always one within several steps of where I am...my dogs do not run all over the house, they are confined to rooms I am in or where I can visualize them at all times....if I see something that is NOT going to be tolerated, as I am walking over to the offender, I just grab up one of my papers! You are going to have to make some inconvenient adjustments, like having papers available to you for correction...if you choose to do this, which works well for many of us.....a proven effective correction method that does not involve hitting the dog.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!