View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Stigica
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I'll post here what I just posted on a similar thread that was about another dog with a similar problem:

Have your tried the Nothing In Life Is Free method of dealing with him, where every bite of food, toy & visit outside is worked for and he has to control himself, learn impulse control in order to get what he normally gets to live? It is one way to help a cussed little creature full of himself start to look at the owner as his leader and the one who has absolute say in everything! Once he begins to see you control his world - his every bite or pee session, he'll tend to learn to look to you in a different way. A dog who has a leader never bites it or takes advantage - it goes totally against their canine nature. I think once you Google the NILIF method, read up on the theory of it on several sites, you will see how it will start to teach your little one who is the ONLY leader in your little family pack and he will start to respect you more.

In time, after working with a behaviorist, you can gain his total respect & he wouldn't try to bite you to save his life! In the wild or feral state, dogs work for everything they get in their pack and live strictly according to what the leader allows, so they are well-versed to this type of hierarchy and adapt quite well and comfortably to having a strong leader. Most pet dogs are just like toddlers - in their minds, they want their way and to run the show but for their own good, mommy & daddy step up, kindly show them who is really boss and sit boundaries & they happily grow out of toddler-terror ways.

Kids with strong, responsible parents just grow up happier, healthier and much more well-adjusted than those with the weak mommy who gives them cake for breakfast, lets them throw things at the TV screen, play in the cold without a coat & allows them stay up until midnight! Read all about NILIF method, start working with your little one to gain control of his impulses & teach him all good things come from you - but he gets them ONLY once he does what you say. He'll start to settle down once he gets his role in the pack right, knows to listen to you and learns to control himself. Once he learns how fun this can be & how delighted you will be in the "new" dog you have, he'll be more into it than ever. That's when a tight bond will form between the two of you and you can work as a good team. And every good team has a good coach who directs everything.

I've heard of that method before, but never really quite read about it. Thanks for the advice, i'm googling it already. I really want a well balanced dog who will listen. That way we're both going to be happier. Thank you, really.

Jackie
Stigica is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!