View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Well, Nothing In Life Is Free as far as I know is just a philosophy for training and not in a single book, I don't think. But if you will Google the phrase, you will find several websites that give the outlines & steps of using the method which basically just teaches the dog to look to you for a little command to do something such as sit down and wait quietly before you sit his dinner bowl down, not going forward to eat until you release him. This teaches him to control himself for what he wants and not forge ahead. He learns control & restraint. NILIF is like a big game if you make it fun & positive & rewarding for your dog. He wants something, he looks to you, you give him a command or tell him what you want him to do, he does it & he automatically gets what he wants ASAP! Dogs just love it and they start to want to learn what you want, looking to you when they need something, learning to listen & do it in order to get their needs met, working hard to control themselves. If you keep it upbeat, smile a lot, celebrate when he obeys & give him what he's asking for when he obeys in a controlled manner, such as a toy or a kong toy with goodies in it, he will turn into the most upbeat, happy and well-mannered, happy little creature - a pleasure to be around. So just Google the term and read some on how to get started. Keep it fun and not militant or dour & your dog will work hard to be his best for his leader in time. After a while, you'll be a real team.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!