View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
What is important is the "immediatecy of the correction". Instantaneous and no fooling around.

To the OP: Leave it is / should be used before your boy picks up something. Drop IT is when he already has it in is mouth.

I agree with Yorkie; no fooling around with any of that snarl snap growl behaviour. A loud "snap" of the newspaper in your hand, correctly timed will startle the dog. If he drops it; again immediate GOOD DROP IT!

Set up practice situations. Use his toys or so to practice the commands in the house.

I always utilize this technique if I notice there is a problem brewing...when I notice the issue, like a "apprehensive look in the eye, head lowering over bowl, maybe a tiny quiver to the lip, I walk away from the immediate situation, before a snap or growl is exhibited....then I get my little newspaper rolled up and ready, along with treats for the corrected good behavior, then after an hour or so, I deliberately set up the same situation, and at that time I will push the activity until I illicite a growl, or snap, or even lip curl with defensive posturing over bowl or toy or whatever....then I immediately correct with my little paper....and the shock value of getting corrected, plus the noise of the paper against my leg, the toy, ground, bowl, etc, startles them, stops the aggressive behavior immediately, and they will turn and walk away from the situation. After a little time passes, I present the situation again, and this time, they always watch me closely when I approach, but they dont ever present with that aggressive behavior a second time, and after I get all into the bowl, or take the toy and handle it extensively, and they just sit and watch quietly, they get a favorite treat and tons of love and hugs and kisses and positive reinforcement for being such a good dog!
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!