View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
Well........ I am not a trainer and I am certain I will be drummed out of town on a rail if I tell you how I would handle this....I have never physically injured an animal or a child, but I do not allow this "challenging" behavior, from neither animal nor child....and this is not a problem I have had to continue to deal with! I have had a couple of young adults that I bought as breeders, that had issues with exactly which of us is alpha.....I resolved it quickly with a swat with a rolled up envelope....just a regular white, letter size envelope....I think it was the immediate response to the behavior that stunned and shocked them, not pain associated with the swat...... that they were not going to get away with doing that....problem immediately resolved and have not had a repeat of the issue again. I am sorry but I will not tolerate a dog snapping at me.....or a child for that matter! Everyone around here is spoiled rotten and loved on relentlessly, but if you snap/growl/challenge my authority as the leader of the pack, you will be corrected. Then after you get an awareness of the immediate correction in the babies, you can then take time to do the "treats and leave it command", used to prevent the situation where additional swats with a paper are ever needed again.....
What is important is the "immediatecy of the correction". Instantaneous and no fooling around.

To the OP: Leave it is / should be used before your boy picks up something. Drop IT is when he already has it in is mouth.

I agree with Yorkie; no fooling around with any of that snarl snap growl behaviour. A loud "snap" of the newspaper in your hand, correctly timed will startle the dog. If he drops it; again immediate GOOD DROP IT!

Set up practice situations. Use his toys or so to practice the commands in the house.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!