View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
adawnelliott
Yorkie Talker

Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
I would return to the vet and get cultures and sensitivities of the drainage....tell the vet about the MRSA.....FYI: We are involved in a nationwide hospital study on MRSA....We do cultures of every patient that is admitted to the hospital, and we are finding, along with the other hospitals, that a vast number of patients that are admitted to the hospital are already carrying the MRSA bacteria on them, which means in a number of patients, MRSA is no longer strictly a hospital acquired infection. That being said, it could very well be possible your pup was carrying the MRSA already, and with an anal gland rupture, the MRSA could have contaminated the wound. Kind of becomes a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" scenerio.....Is the wound clearing up with the antibiotics Frankie is on?
Yes, it looks much better today. I think it's more the cortisone pills than the antibiotic, because the swelling was the main issue. The wound wasn't actually that infected. There was very little pus when I cleaned it out, and even less when the vet sedated him and flushed it. The majority of issue seemed to be the swelling. He was going to get MetaCam at first but then when the vet saw the that it was so bad because of swelling more so than infection, they put him on cortisone pills and Clindamyacin.

Yeah, I heard about the community acquired MRSA. The doctors told me that the strains of CA MRSA are actually stronger than the ones of the hospital acquired MRSA. So if they come into your hospital and they are colonized with MRSA, are they treated with antibiotics so they can no longer carry it? Are they aware they're being cultured and are they advised as to their status? That's interesting. Antibiotic resistant superbugs are freaking scary. And you know, I hate to sound like one of those conspiracy theorists, but the food industry doesn't help either with all the antibiotics they pump into the food supply that we then ingest via meats. Some scientists argue that's created even more MRSA-like type bugs, along with giving humans tolerance so that antibiotics are not going to be as effective in the event they're needed. Crazy.
adawnelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!