View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeness View Post
I agree if you have been taking him out or letting him go (on a peepad) as often as he wants to - you can't suddenly crate him for 9+ hours while you disappear. As I mentioned - it will take time to train him to gradually hold it longer, but it can be done and you'll have no issues with going in the house. My two dogs now have run of the house while I'm gone - no problem. My dogs never minded the crate at all, it was a safe refuge for them as they were growing up and being trained (two years apart as one is now 6 years old and one is 4 years old). Crating within an X-pen works beautifully too. When mine were young, I crated within my kitchen which was blocked off from the older dog while I was at work. Good luck.
Yes, the way you did it sounds fine, many dogs love their crates, Joey goes into his on his own sometimes, but the OP said that his dog didn't like the crate. It's very difficult to get them to love the crate once they have know freedom, but with gradual training and treats, it can be done, it's justs not something they can do easily overnight, and with no one there during the day, I'm not sure how they would train.

Join today and remove this ad!