View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Gardeness
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
How about using an x-pen and pee pads? Urine production slows down at night so it's not really true that they can hold it as long during the day as the night. You might be able to gradually train them to hold it longer during the day, the bladder will stretch, but you shouldn't force this on them. I think if you're going to be gone for long periods of time, it's more humane to use pee pads.
I agree if you have been taking him out or letting him go (on a peepad) as often as he wants to - you can't suddenly crate him for 9+ hours while you disappear. As I mentioned - it will take time to train him to gradually hold it longer, but it can be done and you'll have no issues with going in the house. My two dogs now have run of the house while I'm gone - no problem. My dogs never minded the crate at all, it was a safe refuge for them as they were growing up and being trained (two years apart as one is now 6 years old and one is 4 years old). Crating within an X-pen works beautifully too. When mine were young, I crated within my kitchen which was blocked off from the older dog while I was at work. Good luck.

Last edited by Gardeness; 10-15-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Gardeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!