View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Carmeow
I♥ my girls Luma+Rosie
Donating Member

I would have to agree with youu, Brit. I'm 20 years old, I work 40 hours a week, pay my own rent and electricity, plus student loans. I wanted a yorkie when I was 17 and still living with my parents, but I waited until I knew I had my own money to support the dog and provide vetting. People on YT told me that I need to think this decision out.

What if my bf and I broke up? They asked. Well, my bf isn't paying Luma's vet bills, and I don't expect him to. I know I made the right decision for myself. Do I have $10,000 set aside incase of emergency? No...but does that mean anyone who doesnt have $10k set aside shouldnt own a pet? No. It does show how very important it is to buy from a reputable breeder, to limit the chance of these kind of situations arising in the first place. But accidents do still happen.

I'm fortunate in that Luma will always have someone who could take care of her. However, I've been wanting to add a second to our family. I've held off because I dont, at this time, have an emergency vet fund saved up like I did before I got Luma, and I dont want the responsibility to fall onto someone else.

Accidents can happen at any time. You cant always prepare for them. I dont think that makes you a bad parent. It has made me think twice about getting another puppy though.

Last edited by Carmeow; 10-13-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Carmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!