View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Raisin1
Yorkie Talker

Default Puppy not walking correctly

As of the end of this day she is much better. She has always used her front legs correctly. She never splayed her front legs. They always worked just fine. She walks good with them. She takes about 10 steps correctly with her back legs and then falls down. She does not have a caved in chest. She sleeps on her back and on her side. When she is on her back, I press on her back legs and she pushes back. I am watching how much she nurses. I don't let her eat too much. She never cries for food. When I wake her up, she is getting spoiled once I leave her. I do give her a lot of attention. She did not gain weight today - she did maintain.

QUOTE=Marilize;4031170]Yes, swimmers pups are normal in other ways, it's just their legs that seem too weak to support their bodies. They usually spend most of their time splayed on their chest and stomach as their legs split outward. You said she does the splits? That's usually a very sure sign of Swimmer Syndrome.

The fact that she's trying to walk is great news. You can try fashioning a sling for her out of an old T-shirt. You can support her as she tries to walk to make things easier and to give her muscles some strength and memory. Muscles store experiences as muscle memory. This makes it possible for us to learn to play tennis or drive a car.

Her muscles don't know how to walk yet and they aren't strong enough to get going. With massage and a little physical therapy, I think she'll be fine. Is she still drinking from her mom? Oh, and all puppies sleep a lot and as long as she's not lethargic, listless or has a lack of appetite, my guess is that she's fine.[/QUOTE]
Raisin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!