View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
mimimomo
Don't Litter Spay&Neuter
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
I was buying what he said, until he said it's toxic in only large quantities, “think of drinking a liter”. The article says as little as 7 drops can poison a dog. I'm not saying his product is unsafe, I guess it just depends on how much you trust the company and what he's saying. It probably wouldn’t bother me a too much using a tested product with tree oil in it, such as this toothpaste. However, some people buy the tree oil themselves and experiment with it, this is what I think would be unsafe. Lots of things are unsafe if used in too high of a concentration, but because this is natural, some people might overuse it, not realizing its poisonous in large concentrations. I also wouldn’t want it in a variety of products that I used on my dog, it seems like that might be harmful as well. I mean if it’s in a variety of things, he could be getting a drop here and there etc.
Very good point Nancy.
Since products that contain tee tree oil are diluted (i.e. shampoo), it would be safe to use. But I still would not use it on my little guys or any other dogs & cats. I would not be comfortable using a product that my fur babies ingest, like toothpaste. There are other safe natural ingredients/oils they can use in place of tee tree oil...which is proven to be poisonous in just a couple of drops in big dogs.

Just a few from Sheltie Nation:

Patti Ann April 1, 2012 • 8:54 am

I have a 14 year old assie,She was itchy,soI bought some sergeant’s fur so fresh med. sham.with tea tree oil.
iwashed her really working it in the back area, next thing I know her whole back was raw.I figured she must have knawded herself .I took her to vet he treated her with antibiotics,then my friend told me her old dog had a reaction to tea tree oil an almost died.Now I realize what happened to her and I’m very up set! Iwas just planning to wash her again. So glad I found out!

Kelly March 5, 2009 • 12:47 pm

Thanks for the catch Dan. I have clarified. The toxic level ranges between 2 and 5 g per kg body weight.

Angela January 13, 2012 • 3:11 pm

Hi, I know your post on Tea Tree Oil was posted a couple of years ago, but I just found it when I was googling “tea tree oil on dogs”. First off, I want to thank you so much for your post because this was the first thing I saw to know I needed to take my dog to the vet right away.
I unknowingly put tea tree oil on my dog Sunday night, (on her front paws)I noticed she layed in the exact position I placed her on the bed and didn’t move, which wasn’t like her. I googled, tea tree oil in dogs, and learned from you first, and other sites, that it was toxic. It was 3am and my vet was closed and I didn’t know of an ER for pets in my area. I washed her paws with dish soap, and I ran to the 24 hour pharmacy and got some activated charcoal. She was not walking; her two front legs were limp. I did not put any tea tree oil on her back paws so they seemed fine. I wasn’t sure how much activated charcoal to give her and didn’t want to make things worse, but didn’t want to do nothing so I gave her half a capsule of activated charcoal that was marketed for humans. She seemed like she was happier and started walking around but her two front legs were still a little weird when she walked. We waited for our vet clinic to open and took her in first thing Monday morning. The vet said I did everything right by using dish soap and activated charcoal. They took blood and they gave her fluids via IV. They said she would be ok, and I took her home after a few hours. She is ok, but it’s been a few days and she still sometimes walks funny with her front legs. It’s as if they are numb. It only happens when she has been laying for a while, and then she gets up, and it seems like she notices they aren’t right by the way she looks at her legs like she’s not sure what’s wrong with them. After she walks around for 5 minutes or so, she is normal again, until the next time she sleeps and gets up again. She isn’t old, and she hasn’t had this happen before the tea tree oil. I told my vet about this and she said tea tree oil is mostly deadly to cats, and my dog should be ok. I’m wondering if this is permanent damage where she will always wake up that way or if it will go away over time. Does anyone have any experience with having permanent damage done to a dog with tea tree oil? I’ve read a lot about dogs being saved, but nothing about the quality of life after they survive it. Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the original post! I think it saved my dog’s life.

mwilson July 29, 2009 • 1:46 am

I have a 110 pound american bulldog who had allergies to our carpet due to high dust from a neighboring lumbermill. One night, thinking that the itching and sores on his tummy seemed bad, I used about 6-10 DROPS of tea tree oil on several cotton balls (a total of 6-10 drops in all spread over several cotton balls). I rubbed his paws and his belly and he went to lay down beside my daughter, which was common. In the morning we woke and found it odd that he was in the same location and would barely lift his head when we called to him. He seemed to struggle as we encouraged him to get to his feet to go outside. It was obvious that something was wrong and he was unable to get up on his own. I phoned the vet who looked it up and said it could be seriously toxic to the dog and that we should ‘make him comfortable’ as he was not likely going to live. I was not in a position to pay $1000 in vet bills, so we gave him water and just pet him and did our best to comfort him. A few times he tried to stand to go outside to pee, but he wabbled like he was drunk out of his mind, and there was no semblence of balance at all. He could not get up the steps, and would come in and literally fall back down. Later that night, we noticed he started to walk a little better and late that night, he actually got up and walked and even chased a ball.
I believe that TEA TREE OIL is EXTREMELY TOXIC to dogs. The vet told us that he assumed the reason our dog lived was that he was 110 pounds — had he been a smaller dog, or a cat, he would likely have died.
I have told other vets about our experience and we no longer use this on any animal.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!