View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
BLowry
My furkids
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
Not to be argumentative, but flea shampoos have chemicals in them too, sometimes worse than the topical treatments. I too would love to go 'natural' with my pups, but fleas are very determined critters and really the best and quickest way to deal with them is topical flea treatment.

That said, you can further minimize and for safety buy only something from your vet, and have them figure the dose to each of your pups individual weights. I have to do this for Tink, who has Liver Shunt, bc I don't want her to have any more chemicals than are necessary to do the job.

I would not bomb the house, fleas mostly reside in carpeting and cracks in the floor. You can sprinkle regular table salt on the carpet, leave it set overnight, and vacuum and throw the bag out the next morning. Repeat 2-3 times. Also increase the times you vacuum each week, even every day till they're gone.

Flea shampoos only work for a few days, and you will see more fleas before the time recommended to repeat the shampooing again. And be extremely careful using multiple, different products on them and around the house.
No argument here! I did by a natural shampoo (hesitantly) and a spray(to spray under radiators and couch). I don't have carpets. I stopped by my vets and showed them the shampoo..they didn't want me to use it so...back to the store and got my money back on both...I have NEVER used a topical treatment on the pups....never had to so I am really nervous about this. I had to give in and buy one,.My vet sells parastar plus. I a going to apply it now and watch them...(I am worried about reactions) I don't leave for work until 5:50 so if they are going to have some sort of a reaction I would assume it would happen within the hour of application..(GOD I hope they don't have one) My vet also said that if bombing my house made me feel better to go ahead and do it...but, as you said...probably won't work. She also told me that with vacuuming often (now and after applications) showed do the trick...we will see...I feel SO BAD for my pups! they probably don't know why they are feeling this way...and I HATE using chemicals on them...What do you use on your pups?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!