View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

Welcome and congratulation on you new babies. When I first got Gracie she ended up in my bed from the first night. I have had dogs all my life so it was noting new to me.

If you use puppy pads at night you will find it makes things much easier on you. Gracie usually slept though the night as a puppy but if she did get up I would just put her on the puppy pad so she could go pee and then she would go back to sleep with me.

Until they are trained you just cannot let them out of your sight when they are inside. You have to either get them to the puppy pad on time or outside. You have to learn to recognize their signals that they do just before they pee or poo and get them to where they need to go. Some people use exercise pens to put their babies in when they cannot watch them. But you need to have pee pads in an exercise pen. It helps to put the pee pads in a secure frame so the puppy does not rip them apart or play with them when unattended.

You will make much faster progress in training by spending as much time with them as possible and getting them to the potty in time.Giving a treat when they get it right encourages them to repeat the action. Remember they are little pups and they have little bladders. They need to be close to the potty. When you feed them the food goes through them fairly quickly so be ready for action!

An untrained puppy or dog that is left to it's self will pee where ever they happen to be and that creates a pattern in their mind that this activity is OK, not to mention the fact that they can smell where they have gone in the past and will go there again when they smell that scent.

I can only imagine how busy you are trying to train 2 pups at the same time! I hope things fall in line for you. It is going to be a full time thing for you until they get the idea of what you are trying to teach them.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!