Thread: agressive ?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
deonk1
YT 1000 Club Member

6 weeks is very young, if the pup is indeed 6 weeks old it has missed out on some very important lessons from his momma and litter mates. This is the time in their life where they bite mom or brothers and sisters, and momma or siblings reprimand them to teach them, no that's not ok.

At the very least 8 weeks is the youngest any dog should leave their mom, but for smaller breeds, like yorkies, 12 is recommended.

This being said, seeing you already have the puppy it's up to you to teach some of the things mom would have. I would post this in the general training thread, so more people see it, cause I'm not the best on teaching bite inhibition, but some basics to consider:
- if puppy bites you, in a deep voice say "ouch" this will startle the puppy from biting you, and the second puppy releases, give puppy something appropriate to chew on, like a kong or chewy toy. Then praise the puppy for chewing the appropriate thing.
- If the puppy is being aggressive towards another dog, and the other dog isn't responding or may respond in a dangerous manner, then don't punish the puppy, just restrain the puppy from interaction until the puppy calms down, then release. The other dogs may teach your puppy valuable lessons.

Lastly and most importantly, until your puppy has had 2 sets of shots, limit exposure to other dogs and outside. some people say absolutely no other dogs, I'm of the believe if you have friends who have dogs who are properly vaccinated and don't travel to high-traffic dog areas it's ok, but essentially your puppy isn't protected from many illnesses yet, and exposing your puppy to those places until shots are given isn't safe. Once shots are done, I would enroll in a puppy class, they provide proper socialization and can teach what really is aggressive behavior and what is normal.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!