View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
ConnieO
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default New Baby and Our Tail of Woe

Hi Everyone,
I used to have an adorable Peke, but we lost her to old age about 10 years ago. Last month I got my 6 1/2 wo baby Yorkie (the runt of the litter) from a woman that I have concerns about now, but I'm not giving up my baby, so I am going to deal with them.

First she gave me a home-kept shot record where she had given her shots and wormed her herself (with no dates) and sent the baby home to me with an open pouch of Pet Pride food for dogs (not puppies) which spilled on the car console on the trip home. We didn't know where she got it, so we wound up having to buy a different brand (but at least it looked similar). Hated doing that, but didn't really have a choice.

Within 2 days my baby had diahrea, and although we suspected the change in food, we took her to the vet. She had Coccidia which he said likely came from the mother. (She weighed in at 6 oz. at the vet!) After giving her meds every day for 6 days, I saw a wiggling worm in her (now solid) stool. So, back to the vet we went to get her treated for hook worms. He confirmed that the Coccidia was cleared up, however (and she was up to 9oz. in one week!) He also told me to watch her blood sugar and to put a little honey or karo syrup in her water. (I read that someone suggested Nutri-cal for Puppies, so I am looking into that.) I feed her frequently (and I can tell she is a little bigger), so I think she is fine in that respect.

Now, I am trying to get the dates of the shots from the breeder. A couple of times she has responded, but wasn't home to look up the dates. Most of the time she ignores my texts. My understanding is if she can't give me the dates, we will have to start her shots over. I have decided to text her 3 times a day until she at least answers!

Fleas. I have sprayed the carpeting, but it's that time of year in the Houston area, and it is a problem. The vet said I could use Adams, but the packaging says not to use on pups younger than 12 weeks. I tried a little on a cotton ball and chased a couple down, then bathed her, but I don't feel that I'm doing a good job. Now, her hair is thinning and I don't know if that's normal, if it is the result of her flea scratching, or if it is a result of her previous intestinal distress, or if she has something else going on now! (She will be 10 weeks old Monday, btw.)

I am looking into dusting the carpet with food grade diatomaceous earth next and I have ordered some essential oils for a recipe someone linked to on this forum. I am even considering some Avon Skin So Soft lotion. She needs some relief!

My concern is that she may never be big enough for the common flea remedies even when she is 12-14 weeks old because she is so tiny. (To put her size into perspective, I got her a little XXXSmall halter vest/dress and it's too big.)

The breeder docked her tail and it didn't look great, but the vet said it would heal okay, and it looks good finally.

Despite all of this, she seems happy, frisky, playful, adorable, very smart, and a little bit spoiled, but we love her to pieces!

I guess I just need to vent my concerns to those who might understand. I don't expect for you to solve our problems, but I am open to suggestions about what do do about her shots, getting rid of fleas, and to learn if puppies' hair normally thins at this age.

Thank you in advance,
Connie
ConnieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!