View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
linz06
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Renovation! Design advice needed

Hello again! I was just here for advice on countertops, and now I'm back for more advice lol! We haven't started a kitchen renovation yet, but we did get started on a new laundry room/back of house.

We own a 1916-ish 2.5 storey farmhouse. The house was moved into town and everything was gutted and redone in the 90's by previous owners. They built on an addition in the back with a hot tub room, double doors to the deck, a bathroom, and a hallway to the new attached garage, with a little laundry area off the side.

We have gotten rid of the hot tub (it leaked and we have damage straight to the subfloor) and we are going to build a laundry room in its place, and then build a storage bench where the laundry is currently. Since we have floor damage, we want to just redo the floors completely. I have always hated the tile anyway. It looks like a totally different house back there! The doors are bright white, the floor is white tile, and the trim is all light brown wood. In the rest of the house we have beautiful old hardwood, original wood 5-panel doors, and thick white trim around the windows.

So my idea is to swap out the doors (bathroom, basement, and eventually for the new laundry room) to nice wood 5-panel doors I found at Home Depot. We can stain them to match the original doors (they are not seen from the same area so slight differences won't be noticed!) We are going to replace the trim around the outside door and the windows to match the white painted ones in the rest of the house. My husband is going to build up trim around the interior doors to match the originals (shown in the hallway picture attached).

Now, what about the FLOOR??? I really do not like the tile we have, and I think it's just such a big contrast and doesn't feel "homey" like the rest of the house. We can never get anything that will match exactly, because it's 100 years old. We kind of don't want to do real hardwood because it's between two outside doors, a laundry room, and a bathroom (our other bathroom has hardwood in it but it is old and stands up to anything lol!) We were leaning towards a wood-look vinyl plank. We saw some by Armstong I think that looked and felt very real. Of course, like I mentioned, we can't get anything that will match.

Since the addition is built at an angle to the rest of the house, the floor would also need to be a different direction. If we did something like the vinyl planks, would it look ridiculous to have it running at about a 70 degree angle from the original? So the length will be running the opposite way, and at a bit of an angle.

It's just really hard for me to imagine! But basically I love the look of wood floors, I don't want anything too modern, and I want something that is easy to clean and upkeep. I don't know if a different wood would look too out of place becasue it has worn differently throughout the house and it's an old house anyway - maybe some variety just adds character!

Sorry for this being so long lol! I will add some pictures now.

1. Breakfast nook towards new addition

2. Hot tub (no longer there), and bathroom door beside it. The walls for the laundry room will basically be built along the edges of the hot tub.

3. Hallway towards current laundry and garage access, for a better view of the current floor

4. Hallway upstairs, sort of showing door trim (sorry, these pictures are from a long time ago!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3390.jpg (74.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3391.jpg (66.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3393.jpg (61.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3399.jpg (77.1 KB, 41 views)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!