View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiemom2000 View Post
I have two yorkies....one is a year and a half and my puppy is 8 months old. I also have two 12 year old cats. All have gotten along well until recently. About 2 weeks after the puppy was neutered (end of July) he started chasing the cats whenever he saw them. It has gotten progressively worse. When he sees them his eyes get dark, he stiffens and charges them while making the weirdest noise I've ever heard. (for lack of a better description, it sounds like a pigeon stuck in a lawnmower:-) The cats are older and have never shown any interest in the dogs and pretty much mind their own business. The cats have areas of the house they are dog-free, but they need to cross "dog territory" from time to time and they are terrified to do so. Any ideas???
I dont know what to say that will help...I have the same issue, with my son's cat having to cross "dog territory", on her way back to the utility room where she "lives" with her bed and food and litter box.....fortunately all my dogs, while they give chase as Stacie comes thru the sunroom, no one is seriously trying to catch anyone, and if Stacie stops and looks at the dogs instead of dashing thru the sunroom, the entire high speed chase comes to an abrupt stop, with all the dogs wondering what in the world do they do NOW!!!! When I REALLY get serious about a "NO!!!" issue in my house, I have a little fly swatter.....it is adorable, with a little "flip-flop" beach shoe on the end as the fly swatter part.....makes a lot of noise, as I swat the side of MY OWN LEG!!!...never used on my babies....but when the swatter comes out, they all know something is not approved, and they all back it down a notch until the unacceptable behavior is identified!! As they do whatever it is that I am not happy with, I tell them NO!! and swat my leg with the fly swatter....and this usually corrects the unwanted behavior very quickly! Not being a "real" trainer, this is probably NOT what they would recommend for a behavior modification technique, but it works for me and the Rosehill Gang!!
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!