View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
Cirlonde
YT Addict

Thanks so much for all the advice and support! Teresa, you're description of the "dangerous signs" was very helpful. I think a part of my problem is just that I've never seen Chloe be aggressive, so it all seems intimidating. I've actually seen very few exhibitions of aggression from ANY dog. Knowing the signs will help me to tell when Chloe is getting carried away. I have noticed that she gets worked up in stages; the longer she is allowed to continue, the worse she gets.

I've been trying to teach her limits...i.e., it is okay to rebuke Karli when she gets rough or tries to take a toy away or something, but it is not okay to be mean to her when she is just walking by and minding her own business. It's really tough when Karli is playing chase/having the "zoomies"...Chloe seems at first to want to chase and play back (which I want), but it is like suddenly instinct takes over and she's TOO aggressive towards Karli. It's tough balance.

Chloe has in the past two days started a new behavior. When Karli is sleeping, Chloe will go over and paw at her. Not gently, but also not hard enough to hurt. Just insistently. The first time it happened, Karli was lying next to me and I thought Chloe was trying to make her move. But it happened again last night while Karli was lying in the floor, within arms reach but not up against me at all. No idea what that's about! Chloe definitely seems to like Karli better when she's sleeping though! She'll actually lay within 10 or 12 inches of her, as long as she's being still.

I know it will just take time, but I'm terrified of doing something wrong because these first few weeks/months are such formative years in a puppy's life. Right now, our biggest problem is Karli howling/crying to get out of her crate. She does perfectly at night, sleeps all night without a peep. But during the day!!! Oh my gosh! She cried for a solid 20 minutes at least yesterday. This is a sticking point with me though...I use play pens for safety (like at holidays/during big family meals, etc.) when I need the dogs out from under foot for their own good. I've got to find a way to teach Karli that when she is in her pen or crate, she's got to be quiet. Any suggestions for that would be appreciate as well!
-C
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!