View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
Rescuemomma
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielove View Post
Your right. Three years of show experience is not much when considering the knowledge base that is needed to even begin to breed purebred dogs succssfully. It is not as simple as putting 2 dogs together and see what happens as most people think. There are certain genes that keep any breed "looking like the breed." Line breeding has to be done to maintain the best charistics of the breed without getting too close in the blood line. It is such a delicate balance and even some of the best have thier problems. Sometimes new people get into show/breeding without really learning the multitued of things that they must know. They may buy good stock but out crossing to the worng line can cause huge problems. I consider the breeding of purebred dogs a serious undertaking. Those who take it lightly or think they know everything after only a few short years are going to run into trouble very soon.
As in any walk of life there are the good bad with a few excellent as well as the clueless. With what is going on with so many of the toy breeds it is especially important to do the research before buying. There are some out there that have been lucky in purching from irresponsible breeders but there are also many that have had the horrible heartache of seeing thier precious baby suffer terribly.
Exactly. I had actually been involved in the breed much longer then that (that was just how long I showed that particular dog before I bred him), and had been researching and looking at individual dogs I'd seen shown, advertized, etc for several years before even getting my first show IG, but this is also why I no longer breed, there's to much I didn't understand when I first got involved in showing, I still enter the show ring on occasion just for fun, but I will never get into the serious showing or breed, I'm much more involved in the rescue world now - But I do admire and respect those that do it and do it right!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!