View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
Buster Brown
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

There was a Case Update dated May 30, 2012 He was supposed to be sentenced on July 10, 2012 but I could not find any later updates yet.
Dustin Ricky Harrell pleaded guilty to aggravated animal cruelty in Washington County, TN court today. He admitted to the judge he killed his family's Yorkie last November after nearly four hours of torture.
"I threw it down the stairs, I put it in the washer and dryer, and I held the dog underwater," Harrell told the judge. "I killed and tortured my family dog and I tried to be t
ruthful from the start. I did not want to hide anything your honor. I wanted to come in and tell the truth from the very first time."
During Wednesday's hearing Judge Robert Cupp asked Harrell what possessed him to be so cruel to an animal. Harrell testified he was sexually abused as a child and that his own alcohol and drug abuse played a role.
"That combined with drug and alcohol abuse, it don't mix and it will take you down a long, hard road," Harrell said. "I can tell you what I did with drugs and alcohol, but I have no excuse for it. At the time, I'd done synthetic drugs such as bath salts. I'd done heroin and Oxycodone."
Harrell told the judge he went into a rehab treatment center in January and spent 30 days there. Judge Cupp will sentence the man on July 10.
His sentence could range from one to two years in prison unless the judge decides to grant him judicial diversion. According to Assistant District Attorney Erin McArdle, since Harrell pleaded guilty to the original charge, the judge has more discretion than usual when it comes to sentencing. However, prosecutors say they will push for the maximum sentence.
"The volume of the crime that he committed, aggravated animal cruelty, and the steps that he took to commit that crime, he deserves to be in prison for that," McArdle said.
Animal activists were also on hand for the plea hearing. Seven members of Bridge Home No Kill Animal Rescue told us at the least, they believe Harrell should spend some time behind bars.
"Even if it's half the time it's a good beginning for justice," Bridge Home No Kill Animal Rescue President Regina Isenberg said. "We would love to have the maximum, but we're also content if that's what the judge decides. I hope the young man had learned his lesson and the little treatment he got, I hope it's the beginning and not the end. We're here for justice for Honey and it looks like justice could come."
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!