View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Chrysteen
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default What Happened to My Chauncey?

About two and a half weeks ago, my baby boy Chauncey died in my arms. He was only a puppy but he'd been healthy (as far as I knew) before August 29th, 2012. I'd only had him for a month and a half but he had my heart.

One day I took him outside to use the bathroom. We were crate training. I opened the crate and he didn't come out which was strange. He'd been whining as he usually did when he sensed activity that he wanted to be a part of and he'd been watching me make a sandwich was what I'd thought, which was what made me think he might need to go out. It had been about 30-45 minutes since he'd eaten. At any rate, I leaned down and looked in the crate and he looked scared. I thought, "Well that's weird. A little rain never bothered him before." I figured he was too timid to come out because it was sprinkling a little.

I eased him out of the crate and put him down to use the bathroom, but he didn't get up. His right leg was kicked out to the side so I wondered if he'd managed to injure his leg while in the crate. I picked him up in a panic and ran inside telling my husband that something was wrong with Chauncey.

Then he started to go a bit limp. We thought that maybe he was having a hypoglycemic reaction because we couldn't think of anything else that could be wrong. But then, he'd just eaten, so that conclusion didn't ring true with me and I was beginning to panic, but gave him some Nutri-cal anyway. He was more limp by this time and his gaze was fixed. His heart rate was slow and erratic. His breathing was rapid. He eventually licked his lips a little and we started to think he might end up being ok. Then he started trying to get up from my lap and I carried him into the kitchen to wipe his mouth where he'd drooled out most of his Nutri-Cal. When I changed his position, he let out a LOUD yelp and I went back into full panic mode.

Then he went limp again. He started to seize and I called the vet's office and they told me to bring him right in. On the way to the vet's office, he was completely limp and unresponsive. His heartbeat got harder and harder to feel. He began to have a foamy, pink-tinged discharge from his nose and then I could no longer feel his heartbeat and it seemed that he was no longer breathing. I knew that he had died before we got to the vet's office.

My vet administered oxygen, gave him a shot of epi and began compressions, but Chauncey died in spite of his efforts and mine. This all happened in the span of about twenty minutes. The vet believes that Chauncey had gotten into some kind of toxin but what that toxin might have been, we just don't know for sure. I posed the theory that it might have been a mushroom as the mushrooms in this area this year have been unnaturally prolific, but the doc didn't believe that was what it was. Of course, my dog was 2.2 pounds and as you must all know, he was so much more prone to harm from the smallest of things.

I cried my eyes out. We buried him by my father's pond because we're in the process of buying a new house and I didn't want to leave my baby behind at the house we're in currently, and the new house isn't actually ours yet. I want him where I can visit his gravesite and place flowers upon it. I miss him so that my heart just aches.

The breeder called us when she got our message about Chauncey and was so heartbroken FOR me, that she said she'd give me another baby when the next litter was due. Those babies were born yesterday. In 8 weeks, I'll have another baby to love. But I'm terrified. I don't know what happened to my Chauncey and I can't bear to lose another baby. I welcome the thought of having another Yorkie baby but oh, I just pray that he lives, that he thrives, and that I have him in my life for years and years to come.
Chrysteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!