View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
[/U][/B]

I agree....I can not help but think it is incumbent on the INDIVIDUAL to get referrences and thoroughly check out ANY professional they "hire" to provide a service to themselves, their families, and their pets. I have used an unliscensed groomer that had been grooming dogs since she was 16 years old....she could have done it blindffoded, with one hand, and using a weedeater and nail clippers! She was NOT licensed. She had NOT been to a grooming school, because she could not afford to go to a trade school.....she made a smashing success of a grooming business for herself....all without a license. You must place the correct amount of caution and concern when you hire anyone to do anything for your pet...just as you do for your family. I have seen first hand, licensed people, from dieticians, RN's, Physical Therapists, up thru docs and anesthesiologists, pump techs, vets, groomers, etc that all have licenses....but they would NOT be MY "go-to" guys if I was looking for their services. Licenses do not guarantee an acceptable level of perfection we expect for our loved ones....they may be a starting line, but they dont represent the level of expertise we place on "having a license".
As I have too YorkieMom. But surely it is a starting point. A place to begin.

I guess for me, when health and well being are concerned be it human or animal, I want to see education, certification, and CEU's. Now I'm not saying this will guarantee you a talented individual. You know what I am talking about here. But at least the modicum of good care. And if not, you have a legal case against them.

My earlier post indicated I have used "uncertified" groomers, with gawd help me no English from them. But I have of course watched them groom other dogs, and have heard of their reputation. Even still if they had treated my boy roughly, no matter their reputation, I would have stopped the grooming!.

Only once with Magic when he went down to the States for his US ch, did he get groomed out of my sight. And unfortunately something must have happened then. He now has a phobia of any scissoring on his chest! Not the sound of the clippers as we do the tuxedo clippering, but the scissors!
I have no idea what happened, but that handler will never have another dog of mine, and she knows it!

I am very very protective now of who will groom my dogs. Since that incident the only person who has groomed Razzle out of my sight, is his breeder Ilona, and his US handler. Even then she will call me and say I want to do this or that, okay? Razzle has no fear of anything from the two times he has been groomed by her out of my sight.

I know that I am a show breeder, and groomers for show breeders understand, especially with the big breeds, they will be watched, until the owner trusts them enough to do what is right by their dog.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!