View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

I tend to agree with certification. ONe way is not to support non certified folks. I would also like to see a requirement for emergency first aid for dogs/cats.

How-ever having said this, many Russian groomers I'm pretty sure don't have licenses; and I have had Magic groomed by 2 of the best groomers in Russia. It is quite funny really because they don't speak much English. So there is a lot of hand waving, and lots of Russian words to explain what they want to do or not to do. Usually this happens at National Specialties. And what is amazing to me, is the speed of their scissoring; holy fun fun, those scissors fly! I tried videoing it once, and with all the background noise, and my camera angles it was a mess of a video. Magic who can be a bit of a bully to scared groomers, got no quarter from them. They would say some Russian words to him, and he would settle down like a baby for them! In Russia, they have dog grooming competitions for many of the breeds including BRT's.

You bring your dog to them, freshly washed and blow dried. Fully and I mean fully combed out. Nails trimmed, ears plucked, paw pads done, and I have seen one little woman - she had to be 70 yrs old - take a really over grown coat on a big male, and had him show ready in 1.5 hrs! Not a hair out of place! Beautifully done. The clippers came out for a brief 10 minutes to do the rear, and the chest area.
One lady translated for me, what the groomer answered to the question; how do you know when it is done? The Russian said, until every place on the dog "gleams" like crushed velvet....and NO Scissor lines.

It is a matter of professional pride for them. They come out ringside to watch all the dogs, but particularly "their" dogs that they groomed. And according to some translators, they have a great time with each other critquing the other's work! Then you take the dog back to them after the competition, so they can refine if necessary their work. There should be no or little "movement" of the coat at the trot. When the dog comes to a stack after the trot, every hair should fall back into place!. Exception is facial furnishings. I remember sending hubby out at 7pm to get some vodka, and some food. She was still going over Magic. She wanted to take out more undercoat. Then finally she pronounced him finished! This 70 yr old woman proceeded to eat like a trooper, drank herself 1/2 bottle of vodka, and must have smoked a whole pack of cigarettes!

They evidence great interest in the grooming products we have here. They now come over from Russia, with their special slicker brushes, we LOVE them; they are a finishing slicker brush.

Gosh I haven't thought about those early times in years; thanks for listening.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!