View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
YorkOfTheShire
BANNED!

Default Dog has lost over 2lb in 3-4 years?

Hi,

I thought I had posted about this already in the recent past but I cannot find it.

Sprout has gone from 7.9 lb to 5.3 lb in the last 3-4 years. His backbone is poky and his ribs do protrude (a bit) but he eats like a little piggy.

He is on puppy food per the vet's instructions, and has been for the last 4 years or so and will continue to be as long as his liver enzymes keep coming back "great".

Full panel bloodwork, enzyme tests, x-rays and even 2 costly MRIs have been done and everything is coming back per the vet "great, even better than great". He has everything done once a year now (except the MRI) and everything keeps coming back "great".

The vets (there have been three) keep swearing up and down that his weight loss is due to nothing but "Muscle mass loss due to age" but I have a hard time believing that over 2lb of weight was nothing but muscle.

Sprout's 2 back legs are always stiff when he walks. I mean, he doesn't whine or act like he's in pain whatsoever but they're 'straightish?' when he walks and don't bend like they used to.

He runs and jumps and plays and chases squirrels - eats very well and drinks normally.

He has all of his teeth still and they are in good shape.

...so why do his bones stick out and they didn't before? And how come his back legs don't bend the same anymore?

Does anyone else have experience with this - is this really just due to "muscle mass loss due to age" or should I get yet another opinion (would be a fourth).
YorkOfTheShire is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!