View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
bobohyde
Donating YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
It helps to read this bc my Wylie is having both knees on Oct 1 and I'm scared .

I just reread your post and you say Wylie is having surgery on both knees at the same time? That may be more difficult. Columbo is doing well because each time he had a good back leg to use while the other recovered. I questioned the doctor about the second knee going out only 4 months after the first surgery and he said he was healed and strong and in good shape for it. He said the dogs that have a difficult time are the ones that have the second leg go out after only 2 weeks since the first leg is not completely healed yet. Little dogs are pretty good at getting around on 3 legs until they are ready to start putting weight on the new knee. I have seen larger dogs have hip surgery, etc., and not be able to bear weight on the back legs and they use a sling while walking them to help hold them up. I would think that would be harder, though, with a tiny dog since they are so much shorter than us. Also, going to the bathroom will be hard, with pooping being the hardest since they wouldn't have any way to squat on the back legs. If it must be done at the same time, you will get through it, it just will be harder for both of you until Wylie can bear some weight on them.

Last edited by bobohyde; 09-12-2012 at 04:43 AM.
bobohyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!