View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
MidnightUnicorn
YT Addict

The way I trained Tatiana was with large bath towels. I folded the towels in thirds and placed it in a large plastic tray. That way, when the urine soaked through, it didn't touch the floor. It was a potty tray. The tray size was approximately 20" x 30."

I placed the potty tray inside an exercise pen that's only big enough for the potty tray, and a small area where she can eat, and have her water (there's a small water dish).

About every couple of hours, I would put Tatiana into the exercise pen (and close the gate). I would say,"Go potty." I would wait about 5 minutes. If she needed to go, she would sniff around the potty tray, and go potty. She did NOT go potty in the smaller area because that's where she ate (I feed all her meals in her exercise pen by putting the food in the small area. Every time after she ate, she would go to the potty tray, and go potty. I think this reinforced in her to go potty in the potty tray inside the exercise pen). If Tatiana did not need to go, I would open the gate of the exercise pen, and she stepped out. Again, I put Tatiana in the exercise pen about every two hours for about 5 minutes with the command, "Go potty."

I did this drill every day for several weeks.

Now, she takes herself to the exercise pen, and goes potty. The exercise pen is kept open at all times. The only time I close it is when I feed her. She eats and potties herself, and then I open the gate. All this takes less than 10 minutes.

Hope this helps.

BTW, Tatiana's potty towels are laundered separately on laundry day.

Last edited by MidnightUnicorn; 09-11-2012 at 06:47 PM.
MidnightUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!