View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
I think the misunderstanding comes from the fact that most people who leave their dogs alone in a car, roll up all the windows or just open them up a crack which has little effect in keeping it cool. A car with the windows rolled up, gets much hotter than a car with the windows rolled down, when you are in the car with your dog, you can leave the windows down and the cars temperature is no hotter than the outside temperature. However, with window up, it's 20 or 30 degrees hotter.
I sit outside with my dogs, in the yard every single day...from 8:30am, until 12"30pm.....we are in shade, filtered shade, occasionally, the sunshine for the Vit.D...just about 15-20 minutes in sunshine is all it takes....no body is allowed to get over heated and we go back inside for our naps, from 1-4:30pm....then we are back out until it gets dark....was 8pm just a week and a half ago, seems now it is down to around 7:30pm......but I am thinking if I can sit outside with my babies, I can sit in a parked car, holding my dog, with the windows down, usually parked in the shade, while my son runs insde the store for a loaf of bread, or a gallon of milk, or to deposit a check. The ambient temp inside the car is, as nancy points out, the same as the outside temp....if I can not tolerate being outside, then I can not and will not, sit in the car, even with the windows down, with my baby. A word of caution....your a/c will only cool for a short period of time with the car in park, in a hot parking lot. There have been several police dogs that have died in the back seat of the police car, with the windows up and the a/c running cold.....it stopped cooling and the car heated up and the dogs died....so dont leave your baby in a parked car with the windows up, even with the a/c running....

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 09-11-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!