View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

I will not speak to the Biewer pricing, but will answer in more general terms.

It is not uncommon for puppies to be priced individually; there can be several categories of pricing:

1) Top quality of everything, show, structure, temperament, and working ability and breeding rights are usually the most expensive

Followed by:

2) Top quality-structure in particular - maybe some small coat flaw, or even major flaw BUT Superior Working Dog quality. This dog would be sold on a non breeding contract - with provision to spay / neuter at a later time than normal.

3) Almost show quality but perhaps incorrect temperament - but good for pet home. Again non breeding contract

4) Good quality pet puppies

5) Dogs likely to be far out of the standard, on many important qualities. *some of these might be placed with minimal cost, and dogs with known medical issues may never be placed, or be placed with full disclosure to an extra qualified pet owner for free.

For me as a purchaser, if I was dealing with a breeder who had this pricing strategy; I would make doubly sure they had the expertise on puppy evaluation, and a very good show and working dog reputation.

I would expect two independent puppy evaluative assessments had been done.

I would want to be able to personally speak with the examiner on the written evaluation of the puppy I was interested in,.

I would expect a FULL battery of pre breeding tests being done, for the breed in question. And I would expect those tests to be posted on the official health websites.

It goes without saying a detailed health warranty, very clearly outlined what will be covered or not. What are the remedies that will be put in place, should my dog "not turn out" as warranted?

To me a breeder who wants to structure their pricing in the way as posted; should be able to convince me that they actually have the experience, and knowledge to do so.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!