View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Marilize
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldRuby View Post
Hi Carm... I'm seeing Biewers of good quality being sold from $2500 - $5000 with breeding rights, and $1800 to $2,000 sans. I too am interested in the breed and want to find out what is extravagant. They are such beautiful dogs and are still so rare that I can understand why the breeders want to price their puppies high. I think the high prices also keep the breeders with ill repute and those who breed without purpose from getting into the breed. I was told that a Biewer with correct lineage will trace back to Von Friedheck. If you are able to get a Biewer from that line, then you will probably pay higher prices.

In my opinion, and I'll probably get slammed on this, a good breeder will price their puppies according to quality. Not just an all across the board price. I have many, many years experience with Pembroke Welsh Corgis and my mother shows them in agility and obedience. The dogs who are better quality are priced accordingly, and the others are generally sold as pets unless they are of breeding quality. Breeding rights will be offered if the dog's parents have passed their CERF and OFA tests and the prices increase according to championships, markings, standard etc. I think if a breeder is selling with breeding rights, he or she needs to make sure he or she knows which dogs are quality and which are not. The higher prices keep people who want to mill dogs from purchasing and maintain the integrity of the lines. I imagine this might also be the case with Biewers, but even more so since the breed is still being fitted and developed for an American breed registry and since there are few "true" Biewer lines.

This is just my opinion. I imagine there are several differing.
I'm a Biewer breeder and you are completely right about the pricing. I'm in South Africa and our club has decided to promote pricing based on quality, so you pay more the closer you get to the ultimate Biewer standard, ie. the perfect Biewer. Breeding quality is very expensive, but appropriately priced too. A pet puppy with many faults can go for as little as R4 000 ($500), but a top quality brood dam can cost you in the area of R25 000 ($3 000) - R40 000 ($5 000).

Our bloodline can be traced back to Von Friedheck and there are about 25 dogs in our line in the country at the moment. That's why we need to charge what we do. We are very afraid of our dogs ending up in the wrong hands.

This is my homebred girl:
http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/att...1&d=1347229721

And this is Orio from Germany:
http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/att...1&d=1347229667
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 08 25_Orio & June_0161.jpg (40.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Joni FB 1.jpg (31.0 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Marilize; 09-09-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Marilize is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!