View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
EmeraldRuby
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Hi Carm... I'm seeing Biewers of good quality being sold from $2500 - $5000 with breeding rights, and $1800 to $2,000 sans. I too am interested in the breed and want to find out what is extravagant. They are such beautiful dogs and are still so rare that I can understand why the breeders want to price their puppies high. I think the high prices also keep the breeders with ill repute and those who breed without purpose from getting into the breed. I was told that a Biewer with correct lineage will trace back to Von Friedheck. If you are able to get a Biewer from that line, then you will probably pay higher prices.

In my opinion, and I'll probably get slammed on this, a good breeder will price their puppies according to quality. Not just an all across the board price. I have many, many years experience with Pembroke Welsh Corgis and my mother shows them in agility and obedience. The dogs who are better quality are priced accordingly, and the others are generally sold as pets unless they are of breeding quality. Breeding rights will be offered if the dog's parents have passed their CERF and OFA tests and the prices increase according to championships, markings, standard etc. I think if a breeder is selling with breeding rights, he or she needs to make sure he or she knows which dogs are quality and which are not. The higher prices keep people who want to mill dogs from purchasing and maintain the integrity of the lines. I imagine this might also be the case with Biewers, but even more so since the breed is still being fitted and developed for an American breed registry and since there are few "true" Biewer lines.

This is just my opinion. I imagine there are several differing.
EmeraldRuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!