View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Sandyd
Yorkie Yakker

Default Bobby's FHO Surgery

My little Bobby just underwent FHO surgery today and he's laying in my lap right now all cuddled in a blanket. I just found out two weeks ago that he needed the surgery due to Legg-Calve-Perthes in his right leg and also found out he has hip displasia in the left. Staring at his x-rays and the doc's office, I stood in shock Later that night when it wore off, I started researching and found I couldn't find the type of information I was looking for specifically for the recovery period of a Yorkie so I thought I would post a thread on Bobby's journey through recovery with pictures.

Bobby's story actually starts before now since he was rescued early this year after spending five years in a mill only to be mauled by a large dog in his foster home resulting in one ear being torn off and both eyes punctured. After receiving Bobby in our care, we had one of his infected eyes removed, neutered, and a dental that resulted in all but five teeth being pulled. During his recovery and being newly blinded, he became so attached to me that there was no question I was going to adopt him. He had seen so many doctors at this point that when I got this LCP diagnosis, I about fell off the edge of the world. What else could happen to this poor little boy I do have his before and after mauling pictures if anyone is interested but didn't want to go too far off topic on the first post.

So Bobby's surgery was outpatient today and he is home with me tonight. I have been given a three-page summary of what to expect over the next few months of recovery and will get more detailed information on each step when he goes in for checkups. Right now he is on restricted activity for two weeks; short leash walks being okay after the first 24 hours. Tonight he ate a small amount of food and I was reminded at how fast he can toss a pill out of his throat. We had our first go around with pills when he had his eye, teeth and, hummm,,,, boomers removed. Poor little man !

Anyway, pictures below from yesterday before surgery and tonight on returning home including a pic of the incision. Ask questions if I'm leaving out something you want to know about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (189.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg b2.jpg (145.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg b3.jpg (197.2 KB, 58 views)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!