View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #64
Lolasmom1211
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee1987 View Post
Hi everyone. Havent written in this in a while. Got a phonecall from surgeon today. Buddy is booked for ultrasound on thursday 20th Sept and surgery will be the 2nd week of October. Buddy has been doing great since. Has more energy than i could ever have and has put on a little weight
The surgeon has said she will talk about surgery on the 20th but is there anything ye could tell be about to prepare myself. Just simple little things like will buddy be in a lot of pain when he comes home? when will he be back to normal activity? how long does surgery last?
I know surgeon will answer all these for me but im just anxious since phonecall this morning.
All the staff in my school have been giving out to me sayin im stupid to be even considering surgery. they have been saying to put buddy down and use the money to buy a new puppy. im just so upset and "down in the dumps" since returning to school. My boyfriend assured me that it never even entered his head that buddy wouldnt be having surgery and that he would pay double if needed.
Thanks for advice in advance
Hello Dee. I only have a few seconds because I have to run out of the house to do errands...putting your baby "down" is crazy talk in my opinion. Why would you put Buddy down when he can be treated. That just makes me angry that somone would say thay to you! Lola has done GREAT since her surgery. You would never know anything had ever been wrong with her...and her life expectancy is no different than any other normal dog. I think the fact that we have gone through all that we have with her, has created a bond between me and her that is even stronger than normal. I can not even imagine not having Lola right next to me every night - what a great loss that would have been in my life! Here are some questions taken from the Liver Shunt support site that I belong to - I hope they help...I'm so glad Buddy seems to be doing well. Sending good thoughts your way!

Pre-Surgery Questions:
1. What time should I stop giving my dog food?
2. What time should I stop giving my dog water?
3. What type of surgery will be performed?
4. Will an ameroid constrictor be used or ligation?
5. Will you do a full or partial ligation?
6. Can I bring his favorite toy with him to keep her company?
7. Should I bring all of his current medications and complete medical records with me when I drop him off?
8. Should I bring a supply of his food with me when I drop him off and does it matter what food I bring?
Other questions:What type of anaesthetic and amount will be used? (very impt)
What type of pain medication and amt will be given while in the hospital-has the type/amt. been modified for dogs with liver issues?
What type/amt. of medication do you give in case of post-surgery seizures?
If you can't see a shunt, will you do a Portogram to check for the presence/absence of one?

Surgery Questions:
1. What are the possible complications of surgery?
2. How long will the surgery take?
3. Based on your exam of my dog and a review of my dog's medical records, the bile/acid test and the scintigraphy, is my dog a good candidate for surgery?
4. Based on his records, what are his chances for survival?
5. What other tests will you be doing in addition to the surgery? (i.e., urinalysis, biopsy, blood work)***Liver biopsy should always be done***
6. When can I get the results of the additional testing?
7. Who can I contact (name, phone number, etc.) to get updates on my dog's progress? Can I call night or day?
8. Will someone be watching my dog throughout the day and night?
9. How long will his hospital stay be after surgery?
10. What will you be feeding him during her hospital stay? (this should be canned L/D , RC Hepatic or liquid nutritional supplement/vegetar and/or dairy protein)
11. Will he be walked at all?
12. During surgery, will you be examining to see if he has a healthy liver? Will you take a biopsy to make sure there is no underlying MVD present concurrently?n ****Liver biopsy is always recommended***
13. During surgery, will you be examining to see if he has a healthy bladder and kidneys?
14. During surgery, will you be checking his kidneys for kidney stones? If you find any, will you remove them?
Lolasmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!