View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Candylynise
Yorkie Yakker

Rainbow

Jada is 7 months old and just got spayed last week. I was really afraid for her to have the surgery as well. I think blood work is definitely necessary to make sure there aren't any health issues before they get the surgery. If the blood work does not come back clear they will not do the surgery. My vet told me that the spay should be done before the first heat, otherwise it is more painful for the dog. I initially thought my dog should stay overnight after being spayed but after further research I discovered that many times when vets keep dogs overnight after a spay there is no one at the clinic with the dog and they just put them in the cage. Even if it is a 24 hr facility, it's not like someone is going to hold your dog all night, it will still be in a cage. I think its better for them to come home after the spay and get TLC. Your dog will be in pain afterward though and it was very difficult for me to see my dog like that, I felt so helpless but I was glad that she was home with me while she was recovering. They gave her 5 days worth of pain meds and she felt better the next day. She also got microchipped and they pulled two of her teeth during her surgery.
I hope all goes well for your little baby!
Candylynise is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!